Los Alamitos, CA
Carpal tunnel treatment is for the condition known as carpal tunnel.What is carpal tunnel?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a fairly common health condition that worsens over time. This makes it essential for those who are currently experiencing any type of numbness, tingling or pain in their arms and/or hands to seek professional assistance as soon as possible. The carpal tunnel is located in the wrist and is about one inch wide. A carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosis occurs when this tunnel is narrowed so much that the nearby tissues begin to place pressure on the median nerve, causing swelling that leads to one experiencing both hand and arm problems.
What are the symptoms associated with carpal tunnel?
While the main symptoms that come with carpal tunnel syndrome include various levels of numbness, tingling and pain in the thumb and fingers, it is also possible to experience the following:
- A general weakness in the hands
- Intermittent sensations that come on suddenly, radiating pain into the hand and arm
- The inability to perform everyday functions, like buttoning a shirt
- The inability to properly grasp items
What is carpal tunnel treatment?
The sooner someone seeks carpal tunnel treatment, the higher their chances of slowing or even stopping the progression of this condition.
Current carpal tunnel treatment options include:
- Wearing a brace or a splint during the night in order to keep the wrist straight, which helps reduce the amount of time that pressure is being placed on the nerve
- Taking over-the-counter medications to help relieve both pain and discomfort, as well as any swelling that might be present
- Getting steroid injections, a temporary solution that helps minimize flair-ups, as well as relieve pain
- Making necessary everyday changes that prevent the hand and wrist from being in the same position for long periods of time
- Surgery, which is often only necessary when all other options do not work or when a case of carpal tunnel is so severe that it is too late to try other treatment options
How can a chiropractor help treat carpal tunnel?
Carpal tunnel treatment is essential when it comes to improving the quality of one's life. With a proper treatment plan in place, those suffering from this condition can once again start using their hands and arms without experiencing discomfort and/or pain and perform their everyday functions.
At Vitality Wellness, we can help you relieve carpal tunnel symptoms/pain. Visit us at our Los Alamitos office today.